Bone cancer is a malignant tumour that causes excessive growth of cells in the bones or other parts of the body. Significant cases of bone cancer are metastatic, in which tumours arise in remote areas and infect the bones. The causes of bone cancer have not yet been revealed, there are special risk factors, such as exposure to radiation and alkylating agents, certain gene mutations and so much more. The main symptom of this medical condition is constant pain in the bones, which can worsen over time. With the initial presentation increasing the likelihood of recovery, it is advisable to seek help of a bone cancer doctor near you when pain begins.
Types of Bone Cancer
The different types of bone cancer are as follows:
- Osteoscorcoma and Ewing sarcoma: Both are the most common types of bone cancer. This type of cancer occurs in children, as well as in young adults.
- Chondroscorcoma: This is a cartilage cancer and is more common in the adults.
- Cordoma: This cancer starts in the lower spine.
While the exact causes of bone cancer are still unknown, cancer doctors in Kolkata have identified risk factors that enhance the chances of cancer:
- Genetic syndromes: Some hereditary genetic syndromes, such as hereditary retinoblastoma and Lee-Freumen’s syndrome, pass into the family line. It increases the risks of bone cancer in the whole family line.
- Paget’s disease: This condition is more common in elderly patients and increases the risk of bone cancer.
- Radiation therapy: Heavy exposure to radiation given for the treatment of any type of cancer can increase the risk of bone cancer after a few years.
- Surgery: It is the most common type of treatment for bone cancer. It involves the removal of cancerous bone tissue through a surgical procedure. After bone cancer surgery, radiation or chemotherapy may be given to clear the remaining cancer cells.
- Radiation Therapy: In this procedure, a high dose of radiation therapy is used to shrink the tumour or cancer cells. However, radiation therapy also damages the surrounding healthy cells during the recovery process.
- Chemotherapy: In the process, certain drugs are used to destroy the proliferating cells, such as cancer cells, as well as the lining cells of the gastrointestinal tract. There are also some side effects of this treatment option.