Pancreatic cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the pancreas. The pancreas secretes enzymes that help digestion and hormones that help regulate sugar metabolism. This type of cancer is often detected late, spreads quickly, and has a poor prognosis. No symptoms in the early stages. Later stages are associated with symptoms, but these may be non-specific, says the best pancreatic cancer doctor in Kolkata.
- Jaundice (Yellowing of eyes and skin)
- Light-coloured stool
- Thick urine
- Upper or middle abdominal and back pain
- Weight loss will be followed by fatigue and constant tiredness
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling very tired
Some other symptoms include abdominal pain, back pain, fever with cold and vomiting.
- Old Age
- Has a personal history of diabetes or chronic pancreatitis
- Has a family history of pancreatic cancer or pancreatitis
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1) syndrome, hereditary colon cancer, hereditary ovarian and breast cancer syndrome, familial atypical multiple mole melanoma (FAMM) are some of the conditions.
It is crucial to start any treatment as soon as possible. Depending on the type and stage of the cancer and other factors, treatment options for people with pancreatic cancer may include:
- Embolization or ablation treatment
- Chemotherapy and other drugs
- Radiation therapy
Pain control is also an important part of the treatment of many patients. Sometimes, the best option may involve more than one type of treatment. Pancreatic cancer surgery in Kolkata offers the best opportunity for both the proximal and distal parts of the pancreas. Other options for advanced tumours are endoscopic stenting (jaundice and vomiting), chemotherapy and radiotherapy.