In case of gallbladder cancer, a type of malignant cells form in the organ tissue. Located close to the liver, gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ that collects and stores bile. When healthy cells begin to grow at an abnormal rate, it turn into tumours. Because the organ is located inside the body, it is difficult to diagnose during regular medical examinations, says Dr Soumen Das, gallbladder cancer surgeon in kolkata.
Symptoms of Gallbladder Cancer:
According to the Dr Das, here are some of the symptoms that one can experience:
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal lumps
- High fever
- Loss of appetite
- Itchy skin
- Thick, dark urine
Know causes from Gallbladder Cancer Doctor in Kolkata:
Although the causes of it are unknown, the following factors may increase the risk of developing the disease:
- Inflammation of the gallbladder, which is also called cholecystitis
- The majority of the patients are in the upper age group, i.e., over 65 years.
- Family history gallbladder cancer.
- Colloidal cysts (congenital bile duct incompatibilities) with abnormalities in the connection between the bile duct and the pancreas.
- Excessive use of tobacco and increased exposure to industrial chemicals with nitrosamines.
- Foods with high carbohydrates and low fibre content.
- Diabetes and obesity.
- Hormone replacement therapy.
- Typhoid can increase the risk in people infected with Salmonella.
- Other conditions such as polyps, primary sclerosing cholangitis, porcelain and chronic gallbladder infections and more.
Treatment of Gallbladder Cancer:
Once it is diagnosed and staged, the doctor will begin treatment. Options for the treatment depend on many factors, including the stage of the cancer, the patient’s health, and possible side effects, says Dr Soumen Das, gallbladder cancer surgeon in kolkata. The following are the treatment options:
- Surgery – Surgery of Gallbladder cancer can be further divided into categories:
- Cholecystectomy – This involves the removal of the entire organ. This is a common treatment option of gallbladder cancer and other conditions.
- Radical Gallbladder Resection – It requires an oncologist to remove the gallbladder, liver tissue near the organ, normal bile ducts, ligaments, pancreas, and blood vessels. If the cancerous cells have rapidly spread to different parts of the body, doctors can remove that part of the body as well.
- Radiation Therapy – It uses high-powered X-rays or other particles to damage cancer cells. The method of radiation therapy consists of the number of treatments given over a specific period of time. Further, it can be used to compress the tumor before surgery or to destroy the remaining cancer cells, if any, after it.
- Chemotherapy – The drug is used to destroy the malignant cells and inhibit their ability to grow and divide. As it is systemic therapy, drugs enter the bloodstream to kill damaged cells throughout the body. Like radiation, chemotherapy can be given to shrink a tumor before surgery or to kill any cancer cells after it.
- Palliative Therapy – This therapy is used to control or reduce the symptoms caused by advanced gallbladder cancer. Although it does not cure cancer, the patient feels better and further complications are prevented. It can be further divided into a number of treatment types such as biliary stent or biliary catheter, biliary bypass and alcohol injection.