Gallbladder cancer is a relatively rare but serious condition that affects the small organ located under the liver. In this blog, the best gallbladder cancer doctor in Kolkata has listed some key facts to increase awareness and understanding of the disease.
Facts about gallbladder cancer
- Types of Gallbladder Cancer: The most common type of gallbladder cancer is adenocarcinoma, which starts in the glandular cells. Other rare types include squamous cell carcinoma, small cell carcinoma, and adenosquamous carcinoma.
- Risk Factors: Certain factors increase the risk of developing the disease, including age (over 65), having a history of gallstones, chronic gallbladder inflammation, obesity, and genetic conditions like Lynch syndrome.
- Signs and Symptoms: Gallbladder cancer often doesn’t show symptoms in the early stages. As the disease progresses, common symptoms may include abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), unexplained weight loss, appetite loss, and fever.
- Diagnostic Tests: If gallbladder cancer is suspected, various tests may be done to make a diagnosis. These may include blood tests, imaging tests like ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI, and biopsy to examine a piece of tissue under a microscope.
- Stages of Gallbladder Cancer: It is staged from 0 to IV based on its spread. Early-stage cancers are often localized to the gallbladder, while later stages indicate the spread to nearby tissues, lymph nodes, or distant organs.
- Treatment Options: Gallbladder cancer treatment depends on various factors, including the stage, location, and overall health of the patient. Surgery for gallbladder removal, called cholecystectomy, is the most common treatment. Other options include radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy.
- Prognosis and Survival Rates: Early detection can improve survival outcomes. Hence, it’s important to seek consultation with the best gallbladder cancer doctor in Kolkata who can diagnose your symptoms and offer the best treatment for the condition.
- Prevention: Certain preventive measures can reduce the risk of developing gallbladder cancer. Maintaining a healthy weight, eating a balanced diet high in fruits and vegetables, avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, and treating gallbladder conditions promptly can help lower the chances of developing this cancer.
It is a serious condition that requires early detection and appropriate treatment. Understanding the key facts about this disease can help in its prevention, prompt diagnosis, and effective management. If you experience any concerning symptoms, it is crucial to consult the best gallbladder cancer doctor in Kolkata for proper evaluation and guidance.