Breast cancer recovery signifies the journey towards regaining a healthy and balanced life post surgery. This path encompasses adherence to treatment plans and making necessary lifestyle changes for a smooth recovery. Here’s a comprehensive guide from a renowned breast cancer surgeon in Kolkata on how to recover after breast cancer surgery.
- Ensure Adequate Rest: Following your surgery, it’s crucial to allow your body to rest for proper healing. Breast cancer survivors must get a sound sleep of 8 to 9 hours every day. If needed, they can also take short naps during the daytime. It’s also important to avoid any strenuous activity that could lead to fatigue or discomfort for a few weeks post-surgery.
- Start Moving: Prolonged bed rest during the post-surgery recovery period leads to a decline in physical mobility. To return to a state of flexibility, strength, and overall fitness, the patient needs to perform gentle exercises like rotating the neck and moving the torso from side to side to enhance recovery.
- Exercises After Surgery: Consult with the best breast cancer doctor regarding when to start engaging in daily stretching routines to regain your mobility. Usually, the doctor recommends the following exercises:
- Arm Lifts: Whether seated on a chair or standing, gently raise both arms above your head while keeping your elbows close to your ears. Hold this position for five seconds and repeat the same motion.
- Wall climbing: Position yourself facing a wall with your feet close to it. Extend your arms forward and place your hands against the surface. Slowly move your fingertips upward until the arm is fully stretched. Then gradually descend your fingers. Perform this exercise for 10 times, progressively extending your reach higher with each repetition.
- Start practicing Yoga: Incorporating yoga into your routine is a beneficial step. Doctors recommend deep breathing techniques like pranayama for relaxation and enhancing blood circulation. Take deep, slow breaths, hold for four seconds, and exhale slowly through your mouth for four more seconds.
- Eat Healthy: During your recovery phase, maintaining a healthy diet is crucial for improving your strength, aiding the healing process, and fortifying your immune system. Opt for a well-balanced meal plan featuring lean protein sources, whole grains, as well as plenty of fruits and vegetables. Moreover, drinking adequate water is essential for eliminating toxins and maintaining proper hydration levels throughout the day.
- Take Care of Your Skin: In the weeks following your surgery, it’s paramount to handle your skin with care. Do not use any cosmetic products that can potentially harm the treated area, without consulting a doctor. Consider applying gentle ointments or moisturizing lotions to keep the area well-hydrated. Furthermore, opt for loose-fitting clothing and cold showers, ensuring that your skin remains cool and comfortable during your recovery.
The journey to recovery following breast cancer surgery is often a challenging process. However, by following these tips as suggested by an experienced breast cancer surgeon in Kolkata, you can pave the way for smooth and swift healing.