Cancer that starts growing in any bone of our body is called bone cancer. It mainly affects the long bones of our legs, hands, or pelvis. Cancer that begins in other parts of our body and spreads to the bone cannot be termed bone cancer. For example, if your breast cancer spreads (metastasize) to your bone, it is a case of breast cancer and not bone cancer.
There are three types of bone cancer that are separated depending on the cells it has begun to form.
This is a common type of bone cancer. One of the best bone cancer doctors in Kolkata says that in this case, the cancerous cells produce new bone tissues, but in reality, those bone tissues are not as strong as normal bones. In most cases, children, teens, and very young adults get affected by the same but osteosarcoma can affect people of any age. This type of bone cancer mainly takes place in the bones of the arms or legs. In rare cases, osteosarcoma occurs outside of bones.
Chondrosarcoma is also a type of bone cancer that mainly occurs in the bones of the legs, arms, or pelvis of middle-aged people and older adults. In this case, the cancerous cells start to produce cartilage.
- Ewing sarcoma:
This type of bone cancer arises in the legs, arms, and pelvis of young adults and children. This mainly affects white people. In case of ewing sarcoma the cancerous tumors grow in the bones or soft tissues around cartilage or the nerves.
- Bone pain
- Unintended weight loss
- The weakened bone that may lead to fracture
- Swelling near the affected area
- Tenderness near the affected area
If you observe any of these signs and symptoms, please do not neglect and visit a bone cancer doctor near you without wasting time.
Doctors are yet to find the exact reason behind having bone cancer, but they have found out certain factors and conditions that are related to or associated with the increasing risk of bone cancer.
- Inherited genetic syndrome: There are a few genetic syndromes that pass through families, which increase the risk of getting affected by bone cancer. These include retinoblastoma and Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- Paget’s disease of bone: Paget’s disease of bone mainly occurs in older adults, and this syndrome increases the risk of getting affected by bone cancer in the near future.
- Radiation therapy: If you get exposed to larger doses of radiation given during your cancer treatment, the risk of getting infected by bone cancer in the future increases, says the best bone cancer surgeon in Kolkata.