Gallstones are solidified fluid deposits that occur in the gallbladder. Gallstones may go undetected until they clog your bile duct, producing severe pain that necessitates medical intervention says a cancer surgeon in Kolkata.
Gallstones can be divided into two types:
- Cholesterol stones are the most common and are usually yellow-green.
- Pigment stones, which are smaller and darker, are caused by bile (a fluid stored in your gallbladder).
Gallstones can occur in your gallbladder for a variety of causes. The following are the most typical causes:
- Excess cholesterol in your bile.
- Excess bilirubin in the bile.
- Your gallbladder isn’t fully empty.
Gallbladder stones can cause the following signs and symptoms:
- Sudden, severe abdominal discomfort in the upper right and center
- Pain in the back near the shoulder blades
- Nausea, vomiting, or a high temperature with chills
- Yellowing of skin and eyes
Gallstone discomfort can last from a few minutes to many hours. It is generally treated with gallbladder removal surgery. However, you should see the best gallbladder cancer surgeon in Kolkata if you encounter any of the above symptoms.
Here are the 5 ways to prevent gallbladder stones:
- Maintain a healthy weight: One of the leading causes of gallstone development is obesity. Crash diets and quick weight gain/loss should be avoided because they might raise your risk of gallstones. Establish a routine and ease into it until you achieve your target weight.
- Stick to healthy fats: Olive oil, canola oil, omega-3 fatty acids from fish, and flax seed are all good for your gallbladder and can help you avoid gallstones. High cholesterol levels cause cholesterol gallstones. Choose low-fat alternatives to your meats and milk to keep cholesterol levels in check.
- Eat fibre-rich foods: Consume high-fibre meals, such as whole-grain bread and cereals, peanuts, walnuts, and legumes, to help prevent gallstones. Almonds are a healthy snack that can help you lose weight and satisfy your appetite as recommended by the best cancer doctor in Kolkata.
- Exercise:If you have a sedentary lifestyle, now is the time to change that. Gallstones are more likely to form if you have slow digestion. As a result, your bile is not adequately evacuated from your gallbladder. Get at least 150 minutes of exercise weekly to lower your gallstones risk and drink lots of water.
- Take preventative medications:If you’re obese, taking birth control pills, or have had hormone replacement treatment, you’re at a higher risk of gallstones. Consult your doctor to see whether you require any preventative medicine to reduce your chances of developing gallstones.
Apart from the above preventions, keep yourself hydrated and eat a balanced and healthy diet to keep yourself safe from gallstone formations. If you feel discomfort, get in touch with Dr. Soumen Das, one of the best gallbladder cancer surgeons in Kolkata.