Breast cancer is a significant health concern affecting millions of women worldwide. Among the various treatment options available, mastectomy plays a crucial role in managing breast cancer. Here, a best cancer doctor in Kolkata will discuss everything you must know about mastectomy in Treatment of breast cancer.
Who requires a mastectomy?
According to a cancer surgeon in Kolkata, mastectomy may be recommended for those:
- With larger tumours relative to breast size, where breast-conserving surgery (lumpectomy) may not be feasible.
- With multifocal or multicentric breast cancer (cancer in multiple areas of the breast).
- Women who have recurrence of breast cancer after undergoing radiation therapy to the affected breast.
Types of Mastectomy:
- Radical Mastectomy: It is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the entire breast, including the breast tissue, nipple, areola, and underlying chest muscles (pectoralis major and minor).
- Modified Radical Mastectomy: In addition to breast removal, this approach includes the removal of nearby lymph nodes. It is commonly performed when cancer has spread to the lymph nodes or when there is a higher risk of lymph node involvement.
- Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: This technique removes breast tissue while preserving the overlying skin, allowing for a more favourable cosmetic outcome during breast reconstruction.
- Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: In this procedure, breast tissue is removed while preserving the nipple and areola. It is usually offered to individuals with early-stage breast cancer and favourable tumour characteristics, enabling the preservation of a natural-looking breast appearance.
Recovery after Mastectomy:
- Hospital Stay: According to the best cancer doctor in Kolkata, the duration of hospital stay following a mastectomy varies depending on individual circumstances and the type of mastectomy performed. It can range from a few hours for outpatient procedures to a few days for more extensive surgeries. During this time, doctors monitor vital signs, provide pain management, and offer assistance with wound care.
- Post-operative Care: After returning home, you will receive instructions on caring for your incisions, managing drains (if present), and taking any prescribed medications. It’s essential to follow these instructions diligently to promote healing, reduce the risk of complications, and attend any follow-up appointments as scheduled.
- Physical Recovery: Initially, you may experience soreness, swelling, and limited arm mobility on the side of the mastectomy. Gradually, these symptoms improve over time. Your healthcare team may recommend gentle exercises and physical therapy to help restore strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the affected area.
Mastectomy plays a vital role in the treatment of breast cancer. By working with the best cancer doctor in Kolkata, patients can undergo a successful procedure and have a quick and smooth recovery.