There are several tests that help diagnose gallbladder cancer. Your doctor will consider a lot of factors when selecting a diagnostic test for you, including your signs and symptoms, your age, and the results of your previous tests. Below, the top gallbladder cancer doctor in Kolkata has discussed some of these common diagnostic tests for gallbladder cancer.
Tests to Diagnose Gallbladder Cancer
- Biopsy: For a biopsy, your doctor will remove a small amount of tissue from your gallbladder. During the examination, a pathologist will see whether cancer is present and analyze the samples. If the test reveals malignancy, your doctor will immediately begin your gallbladder cancer treatment.
- ERCP: An ERCP test is often recommended to diagnose disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Usually, this test is prescribed for diagnosing bile duct cancer. However, your doctor might also suggest this examination if they suspect that your gallbladder cancer has spread and blocked the bile ducts.
- Blood tests: The best cancer doctor might take some samples of your blood to check for abnormal levels of bilirubin and other elements. As stated above, gallbladder cancer can sometimes block the bile ducts with a tumor. This can result in higher levels of bilirubin in the blood.
- Endoscopic Ultrasonography: An endoscope is put inside the mouth after sedation so that it can reach the intestine and stomach. This test is done to check for tumors and to guide the biopsy procedure.
- MRI: An MRI can check whether the cancer has spread beyond the gallbladder to the other body parts. It will also help to measure the size of the tumor. Moreover, a dye known as contrast medium is given prior to the scan to locate the mass inside the body.
- Ultrasound: An ultrasound uses sound waves for the purpose of creating pictures of your internal organs, like the gallbladder. If tumors are present, they generate echoes during the test, which are differentiated from the echoes generated by normal, healthy tissues. By determining the sound waves, your doctor will be able to find out the location of the mass.
- Laparoscopy: It is a minimally invasive diagnostic procedure that allows your doctor to check your gallbladder by making a small incision in the abdomen.
If you experience the common symptoms of gallbladder cancer, like persistent abdominal pain and cramping, nausea and vomiting, and constant fever, you must reach out to the best gallbladder cancer doctor in Kolkata. They will thoroughly evaluate your condition, prescribe the required tests, and confirm whether or not you have gallbladder cancer.